Monday, September 12, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Ahhhhh... My favorite time of the year.


I love this soup recipe because it is healthier than most using water instead of salty broth, the ingredients are short and easy to find, and it is not based in creams or milks which doesn't upset my husband's stomach as bad. I made two large batches Saturday for the freezer.  (I am not really in the mood yet for soup - but I will be in November!)

Adapted from Cooking Light, October 2004
3 pounds butternut squash (about 2 medium)
5 teaspoons olive oil
5 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (about 2 large)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
4 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic

1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet (or on a silpat). Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until tender. Scoop out pulp. Discard skins.

This is cut side up. After they come out of the oven I flip them over like this so that they cool faster. These are ready to be scooped.

2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, sage, and thyme; cook 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.  Add squash, water, salt, pepper, and garlic. Bring to a boil, partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.
3. Puree.  You can do this by placing batches into your food processor 2 1/2 cups at a time.  OR - and my favorite method - use an immersion blender. This was my best purchase of 2009.

No comments: