Sunday, October 30, 2011

Time for Pesto

If you still have Basil lurking in the back yard or in a pot, harvest it now or else loose it. Basil does not last after the first frost and it will not come back next year. Harvest it this week before we get our first frost and make Pesto.  It freezes wonderfully. 
I used the following recipe:
http://www.fostersmarket.com/recipe/fosters-pesto/


I freeze my Pesto in ice cube trays.  I bought these trays three years ago at the dollar store for pesto, and have since used them for chicken broth and baby food.  About two ice cubes is the perfect amount of pesto for a pasta salad or pizza crust. Once the pesto is frozen, it is a little hard to shake them out.  I slide a butter knife around the edges to coax them out.  My sister-in-law thought her pesto was ruined when she couldn't get them to come out - difficulty is normal because it is frozen olive oil. (Use the knife!)


No comments: