Monday, October 22, 2012

Butternut Squash Baby Food

I recently told a friend of mine, "Do not buy Baby Food! It is so easy to make." I ran upon a huge butternut squash two weeks ago at Aldi for $1.49. From that, I think I made Rex enough squash to last a month and a half.
Baby Food is so easy to make because you shouldn't put anything in it..that's right....don't add to it. Just cook it and puree it so that a little person who is still learning how to use a spoon can swallow without chewing. I also add breast milk to help thin out the veggies to a better consistency.  (You could add water or formula.)

You can see all three stages here:
1. I used the Crock pot. Low for four hours. But you can also steam, roast, boil.  I used the crock pot this weekend because I wanted them to cook even though I had a lot of errands to run.
2. Puree in a food processor, blender, or food mill. I have all three and have used all three.  The food processor is my favorite because it is the fastest for large amounts. Stir in your milk, water, or formula.
3. Freeze in ice cube trays for portion sizes. Then dump, and store in a plastic bag in the freezer.  Every night, Rex gets two cubes of veggies and some oatmeal.

No comments: