Saturday, April 20, 2013

Planting Strawberries

Last year we bought 8 strawberry plants and placed them in the back yard around a dogwood.  Nothing happened!  So, this year I decided to move them to an area that gets full sun.  Strawberries are a perennial (they come back every year) and they spread (they multiply).  So, with the new beds I built in the backyard, I wanted to make sure the berries received a spot that would be undisturbed each year.  I also wanted to make sure that I gave them enough room to spread.

I build a raised bed out of found cinder blocks that were "free" on Craigslist.
 
I relocated my berries....we shall see how they grow!
Strawberries require no maintance (other than keeping the birds away). If you are relocateding them, as I was, move in the early Spring or mid Fall.


 They are in and ready to grow.  I have metal pie plates hanging to try and keep the birds away.  My Pawpaw Rex use to do this.  We'll see if I can have his same luck.

Strawberries can really grown in about any container.  Here are some more ideas:
tower1
Strawberry B
 
Want some recipe ideas?  Check out this blog post on canning strawberry preserves and freezing strawberry pie filling:
 

No comments: