Saturday, July 25, 2015

Mediterranean Vegetable Stew

Freeze Now..... Slow Cook Later.


I have too many vegetables on their last week in the fridge and I'm heading out of town next week.  There is not enough to can, but more than I can eat in the next two days.  Solution?  Plan some soups for the winter.  I found one of my favorite slow cooker meals and prepped half of it.  Basically, I cut up the fresh stuff, write down what I need to add to it on the bag, and then freeze.  SHORT CUT CENTRAL  and still preserving fresh vegetables from my garden.

So:
1. I cut up one zucchini and two squash into little triangles and put into a freezer bag.  I then cut up one onion and added it.  If you have 2 tomatoes, a handful of green beans, 2 ears of corn.... chop and add to it -  what ever you need to NOT WASTE.
2.  Then add the seasonings.  (If you don't have any of the seasonings now just write it on the bag.)  I added two frozen ice cube size blocks of pesto, a teaspoon of garlic, a tablespoon of salt, and a teaspoon of pepper.
3.  Label the bag and what you need to add to it.  My bag says:
Add 1 can of chick peas, 1 can of tomatoes (because I don't have enough right now.  If you cut up two omit the extra can.), 1 can of vegetable broth, 1 can of tomato soup.
4.  Then write on the bag: Cover and cook on low 8 hours.  Dinner is almost done...... three months early.  When cooking, it is not necessary to thaw this bag...just dump it all in.


No comments: