Thursday, September 20, 2018

My Garden Sucked This Year....


      Yes....you are seeing correctly.  That is a raised bed with overgrown okra plants amongst a sea of grass and weeds.  What happened?? This blog was started to celebrate how well I garden, cook, sew, and "momma" while working full-time.  The idea was to share tips and techniques with others to encourage Martha Stewart domestic diva status while living in a mundane, suburban community on a minimum income .  I haven't even posted on this blog in over a year!!  Another soft goal for the blog was to hold myself accountable, and make the ordinary extraordinary everyday and not succumb to excesses of why I live a "not so glamorous life." Have a failed my original goal? 
     I have not!  In fact, I think that in my absence from this original collection of thoughts, recipes, and simplified objectives I have actually gotten better and grown into a "multi tasking maven" who lives life "lipstick, heels, and a baby," waking up with a "hello sunshine" attitude.   A year ago, about the time of my last post, I decided to add to my buffet plate of life: entrepreneurship.  It has been amazing!  The personal growth and friendships that have come from this new adventure have magnanimized (I made that word up) my suburban lifestyle.  And....I am going to make it even bigger.  I have decided that God has big plans for me and ALL OF US and I am following his direction and working him into every inch of his plan.....So how about that garden? 
      The biggest lesson I have learned in the last year is time management skills!  I live and breath by a List of 6, every day (thats a separate post).  I set big goals, and then worked my plan backwards....Ok educators, you should be able to relate to the countless hours of CEUs you have spent on Backwards Design.  Apply those principals to your life!  We teachers spend so much time goal setting and planning, then working the plan, then celebrating the small wins....for our classrooms!  Yet, most have never attempted to apply the same template to the ONE thing in this world that should matter first - OURSELVES.  Mic dropped, and yes I am currently reading Girl Wash Your Face.   
      So getting back to this dead garden reflection.  How did I let this happen this summer?  To be honest, I forgot I had a garden in the back yard.  I never once wrote "Garden" into my goal sheet.  I never once, all summer long, listed a garden maintenance chore in my List of 6.  So, the big picture is that......I did not fail this summer!  I just no longer had the same goals.  But I also learned if I want my husband to feel like its nice to have a few plants in the yard, maybe some lettuce, that I will need to include it on my List of 6 or the garden will look like Petter Rabbit's Spa Vacation again. 

Take aways:  As my personal growth continues to climb, I have realized this month that I need to return to a few elements that make me special:  exercise, cooking, and time management are my top skills.  I need to revisit this BLOG!  So, joining the 5AM club, I am working out more and I am going to BLOG.    Challenge for you:  What make you special?  How do you work that into God's plan for yourself?

No comments: