Thursday, April 28, 2011

Three Ways To Save Money in May

One of the main focuses for this blog is addressing life as a domestic diva on a very tight and strained budget. Saving money is crucial. I have always lived more successfully if I set small, attainable goals. That said, here are my three goals for May:

1. Recycle at Staples. Did you know that Staples will take your used ink cartridges from work and give you store credit in return.  A couple of months ago, I recycled 10 (that is their monthly maximum) cartridges. I got an email coupon for a $20 store voucher.  I can buy new ink cartridges for our home computer this month and not spend a dime! 

2. I wear Aldi Make-up. There I said it, and I am no longer embarrassed. About a year ago when things began to get tight, I bought foundation from Aldi because I could not afford to go to Belk and get my usual Lancome product. Once I discovered that my skin was not going to turn orange and fall off, I also bought their powder, facial lotion, and blush.  Well, a year later, I am still using their product and here is why:
  • It is an award wining skincare system that is sweeping Europe.
  • It is made in Germany which, as part of the European Union, has the same safety standards as France's Make-up industry - Chanel, Dior, Lancome.....
  • Lacura's Q10 Anti-wrinkle Night Cream came out on top in European quality tests alongside major brands such as L'Oreal, Olay and Helena Rubenstein.
  • Every product ranges in price from $1.49 - $3.99.  Now you are talking my language. Much better than Lancome's $15.99 - $59.99
So, not only am I no longer ashamed that I had to purchase Aldi make-up, I am going to continue doing it and celebrate the process.

3. I am going to go the whole month of May with no AC or Heat. I am also going to try to use the oven minimally since it is very efficient at heating the kitchen. How am I going to do this? Well, as far as the oven, I have learned to cook almost everything in my slow cooker.  It uses less energy and doesn't heat the kitchen up like the oven does. For the AC, May is usually a mild month. The windows are open and the fans are on. This morning I have some extra time, so I am changing the flannel sheets out for our cotton summer sheets, and I am going to fold the down comforterr up on the end of the bed and use a lighter quilt/coverlet for the month. Since Steve and I are trying to save money to repaint the house and buy new shutters, my goal is to put about $75 dollars back into Steve's checking account from the power bill this month. Our bill last month was $85. So, is $10-$15 out of the question? We shall see.

No comments: