Sunday, January 29, 2012

An update from Winter Hibernation

What a fall and winter it has been!  I am still teaching three nights a week at the YMCA while also working full time, Steve is still in class two nights a week, I am still teaching the classes on Sundays at Williams-Sonoma, Camilla is in full force, oh  - and did I mention I am exhausted with my second pregnancy? 

The plan from last summer was to master The Suburban Challenge so that despite a crazy and hectic fall/winter schedule, our family would still be eating homemade/homegrown/healthy meals each night for dinner.  Mission accomplished!  I did this through freezing and canning over the summer prepared entrees that only needed browning of meat, cooking of pasta, or mixing into a 9x13 casserole dish. 

Here is a look at some of my winter staples from the garden last summer:
Okra and Tomatoes: I cook shrimp or sausage, add veggies and serve over rice
Provencal Chicken: I brown chicken breast, add veggies, and serve over couscous
Gumbo Starter: I make a roux, add veggies and meat and serve over rice
Chicken Pot Pit Starter: I add cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, and top with biscuits
White Chili Starter: Brown chicken and add soup starter.
(All of these recipes can be found on this blog.)

Dinner on the weeknights has become so much easier that I enjoy doing "special stuff" on the weekends - homemade pizzas, stews, roasts, etc....


This new organization has also allowed me to spend time sewing more after Camilla goes to bed. 
We have a very SPECIAL wedding to attend in April and we are ready with this pillowcase dress and blouse.


This was our "Christmas Card" dress.

And I have been appliqueing anything I can get my hands on to get ready for our new little man arriving in April.


What's Next:
Believe it or not - it is time to start thinking about the garden again.  If you live in Zone 4 "The Southeast: NC, SC, GA" per the Farmer's Almanac, it will be time to start plowing and preparing the ground during the third week of February. Steve has scheduled a man to come plow ours during that week. Then, by the first week of March the spring gardens need to go in: Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Kale, Lettuces, Peas, Carrots, Cauliflower, Cabbage, etc... 
And the fun will begin all over again!!  I just hope I can get the spring garden in and the rows prepared for the summer garden before the little man arrives.

No comments: