Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Back to School

Some of us go "Back to School" shopping.  Well, I go "Back to School" cooking.  During the summer I cook anything I can get my hands on and preserve it for the fall.  This way I can have a home grown, home made dinner even on nights that there are meetings after school, ticket duty at the gate, open house for progress reports, aerobics classes that are a MUST, ........
You get the point!

Here is a look at the freezer back in March when I gave it a good yearly cleaning.
Here is a loot at it today, Tuesday August 14th, the last day before our First Teacher Workday Tomorrow!
And, Camilla taking a look.
Just to point out the Squash Pies at the top with loaves of Zucchini Bread, the soups on the second shelf, and gumbos and more soup on the third shelf. The bottom shelf is baby food I made from steamed, pureed squash mixed with breast milk and frozen in ice cube trays for easy serving once little Rex starts to eat next month.


Keeping Inventory!

If you are going to cook in bulk, it is necessary to keep an inventory of what is in the freezer, or canning shelves, so that you don't forget about your hard work and lose it as waste. Some people prefer to keep a list on the front of the freezer with what is inside and mark it off as they go along.  Well, I can beat that! I keep my inventory on a blank calendar. As I make two batches of Potato Soup, I will schedule Potato Soup somewhere on the calendar twice.  This way, not only do I have an accurate inventory, I am also menu planning at the same time making grocery shopping easier and quicker.

Here is a look at September: Tomato Soup, Okra Etoufee, etc... 




And a look at October......

No comments: