Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Healthful Squash Breakfast Muffin

Similar to my issue with Zucchini, all of my yellow squash wants to harvest at the same time. And, as with zucchini, there are wonderful ways to eat it fresh.  My favorite is grilled with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil - or the casserole Kimberly made on memorial day from Southern Living.  (It had BACON!)

I set out on a mission to create a healthier breakfast muffin involving the yellow squash. I researched other healthy breakfast muffins as well as squash dishes to maximize the yellow boy's flavor. It took me three attempts - but I nailed it! (At least I think it is good for having no white sugar or oil.) Enjoy!

Healthful Squash Breakfast Muffin
1 medium yellow squash grated
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup non fat vanilla or plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
the juice and zest from one lemon
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon poppy seeds.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix together the egg, applesauce, yogurt, honey, brown sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  Add the grated squash. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, flax seed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and poppy seeds. Stir in the applesauce mixture into the flour mixture. The mix will be lumpy. Pour batter into a greased muffin pan or liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top edges start to brown. Makes 12 muffins. Can be frozen.

No comments: