Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lemon Yellow Squash Pie

Need to get rid of your squash?

This recipe was featured in The Salisbury Post by Sue Davis about 3 years ago.  It was an instant smash with my husband and family.  (Unfortunately, the joke was on my uncle who hates squash and whom I tricked into eating and loving in front of everyone - Sorry Uncle Gray.) It fits perfectly into the Suburban Challenge because it is simple and freezes easily.  I made four.  I took one to a Father's Day get together last weekend and have frozen the other three for the next time I am "asked" to bring a dessert.

1 cup yellow squash grated in food processor
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 pie shell (I used the graham cracker ones)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grate squash. Mix all ingredients together and put mixture into pie shell. Bake for 45 minutes on the oven's lowest rack.
I was only able to cook 2 at one time since that is all that would fit on my lowest rack.
My freezer is starting to look good!  You can see the three extra pies in the back, zucchini bread in the front, and a bag of muffins ready for next month.

No comments: