Friday, June 3, 2011

3 Ways to Save Money in June

Here are this months ways to save money:

1. Spoon yogurt into single-serve dishes. Everyday I pack a individual yogurt and applesauce in my lunch for work. I have done this for two years. I recently realized how much extra money I am spending that is not necessary. A carton of four yogurts at Aldi is $1.86. Or, the average individual yogurt is $.75.  However, if you buy the large, 2 lb container, it is $1.26.  Last week I purchased the large container and portioned the yogurt out into recycled baby food jars and got six servings out of my $1.26, and it took me less than five minutes. Well, this rule applies to my applesauce as well.  So, if my calculations are correct, and I continue buying the larger jars, I will have an extra $100 to spend at Christmas (as well as creating less waste for the environment).

2. Washing Lettuce. Too tired to rinse your own lettuce so you end up buying the pre-rinsed, chopped bag lettuce in the produce? The red leafy kind is $1.99 per pound if you bag it yourself and wash and chop at home, or $4.33 per pound if you toss a pre-washed bag in the cart. If you can wash a pound in five minutes, give yourself credit for making $30 per hour.

3. Peeling carrots. Baby carrots are cute, but at $2.65 a pound, they'd better be.  Peel regular carrots that cost 88 cents per pound in 5 minutes, and you made $53 per hour.

No comments: