Sunday, June 5, 2011

Zucchini

When it rains it pours!!


I love to plant zucchini every year.  It is easy to grow and produces a lot. However, its just my luck that it is all ready at one time.  There are tons of great recipes out there for eating zucchini fresh - however, it is a little more difficult to think in terms of The Suburban Challenge and making the zucchini last much longer. Here are three of my favorite ways of transfer zucchini from plant to freezer so that I can continue to enjoy it for months longer.


1. Zucchini Bread.  Make extra batches and freeze them for the holidays, house warming gifts, or when a friend has a new baby you can take over a breakfast dish for sleep deprived mom and dad.  I like hosting friends every year at Christmas for a holiday brunch. As with last year, I will already have one dish made and ready to thaw - the zucchini bread.  Paula Deen's recipe is my favorite:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/zucchini-bread-recipe/index.html

2.  Meatballs.  While grating the zucchini for the zucchini bread, I also grate some to incorporate into a summer meatball that freezes well.  Recipe to follow!

3. Baby Food.  Peal, steam, puree, then add liquid (breast milk, formula, or water) to create a creamy consistency.  Freeze in ice cube trays. Last week I made a vegetable blend of zucchini, broccoli, and green peas all from the garden. Cam loves it!

No comments: