Monday, June 13, 2011

Reader Recipes

Some of you have sent me your awesome recipes in response to my previous posts.

Maureen, my dear friend in Richmond, VA and former roommate, sent me her breakfast casserole recipe. This recipe, similar to "Clean the fridge out Frittata" is flexible enough to use with whatever you currently have in the fridge that is getting ready to go bad:

"So I have been making this breakfast casserole for the last month and I thought you might like it for your blog. Which by the way love it.   I started doing it to make things easier during the week when it came to packing lunches so I didn't have to think about what I was going to eat for breakfast.  It's easy and I can heat it up in the microwave at work. 
 
Egg casserole: 
choice of meat
choice of veggies
8-10 eggs beaten
cheese (if desired)
 
Cook the meat (bacon and/or sausage). Once cooked, place in casserole dish crumbled.  Saute veggies (this week was left over peppers that weren't used in salads, onions and mushrooms). Once soft place in dish, then pour eggs and cheese if using over the mixture and bake at 350 for 45-60 mins until firm.  Cool, cut into serving sizes and put in fridge.  It's quick easy and we eat it all week. One less thing I have to think about during the week... "
 
Here is Maureen and her daughter Liliana at the Kannapolis park when they visited in January.
 
My cousin Becky King just had a baby one week ago today and has still found time to email me her wonderful zucchini recipes:
 
"I have 2 zucchini recipes  that I wanted to share with you.
 
Zucchini strips:
Cut zucchini into strips
blanch it (boil for 5 minutes)
Place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle parm cheese.  Can also add some garlic powder or salt.
Boil low till browned.
 
Zucchini casserole:
Cut zucchini into round pieces (like a cucumber slice)
In casserole dish add layer of zucchini, then place a spaghetti sauce (I use hunts) on top of the zucchini.  I think place a layer of mozzarella cheese. and repeat for another layer (zucchini, sauce, moz cheese). Bake on 350 for about 25-35 minutes."
Introducing the newest member of our family: Avery McCall King.  We love you already!!

No comments: